Life with Sensory Processing Disorder

Monday, January 20, 2014

Hypoglycemia

I apologize for the Browser problems, the font size and spacing is appearing funky - it is unintentional, so please bear with me...

I was relieved to read that SPD can lead to Hypoglycemia. I guess that is an odd thing to say, but over the past 5-6 years I have had on again off again issues with low blood sugar. SPD & the stress from it throws off your sugar levels and can lead to Hypoglycemia. It was a relief to find out why this was also happening to me.  Sometimes it is very bad, sometimes is easily corrected. Many times it happens during PMS and is much worse during PMS. I know that if I don’t eat every 3 hours I can have a low blood sugar episode. I will get light headed, dizzy, feel faint, get shaky, have uncontrollable muscle spasms & jerking, get confused, can’t think, get very upset, panic, cry, have heart palpitations, can vomit, sweat, and get overheated. It doesn’t happen regularly, so I never know when to expect it. I can go months without an issue even if I eat poorly, skip a meal, or not eat enough. Many times I will go months without an incident and then BAM! I have one and it is so extremely scary.

When I have a problem, it tends to be hard to correct over the next few days & I will be prone to episodes and it feels like a roller coaster. After an episode I feel like I’ve been run over by a Mack truck. My body will hurt, I will have bad headaches, I feel run down and worn out. I’m so afraid I will have a seizure, which can happen. I’ve had pretty bad Auras. I was told when I have an Aura I should go to the ER and get a monitored injection of Imitrex, but I don’t, since when I used to (many years ago I had to from birth control pills – I had bad reactions to the abundance of Estrogen, experienced super scary mini strokes, horrible Auras, projectile vomiting, and severe migraines) it never helped and only added to my stress.

I had low blood sugar 2 days ago and have been reeling since. It was innocent enough, I woke up, planned on eating breakfast, but the dogs were hungry, needed to go out, then wanted to play. My husband was going to run to the store and get some items for me to cook for us. I ate something small and sugary as a pre-breakfast snack, forgot to eat within a reasonable amount of time, had a sugar crash and there began a bad episode.  Then yesterday and today I felt on the edge and shaky and nearly had several attacks. At times I feel depressed & sorry for myself. Just one more way that having SPD sucks. It isn’t bad enough that my senses are bombarded with so much stimuli, but I have to also have this side effect that makes day to day living even more of a struggle.

The last time I had an episode was in October when my mother-in-law was visiting. It is hard because other people don’t have this issue, don’t understand, and don’t have to eat on a schedule. We were out and actually on our way to a restaurant for lunch, but had gone over 5 hours without eating. I started shaking uncontrollably and thank God I had a tube of glucose in my purse, and thankfully we were in a different vehicle and they didn’t witness my attack. I generally don’t care to share my issues with others. I don’t want to be judged, thought of as less, felt sorry for, or looked at strangely. Plus I am a private person. I don’t like to be talked about or in the spotlight; unless it is for something I have worked hard for and am appreciated for, and even then I like my accolades in small, reserved doses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment