Life with Sensory Processing Disorder

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Books on Sensory Processing

I finished the book Too Loud too Bright Too Fast Too Tight recently. I kept thinking that is so me! It was a relief to find something that explained what has been happening to me all these years, how I feel, why it happens, etc. Just my personal opinion, and it could be the frame of mind I was in reading it, but it also had a trace of doom and gloom –  it felt like she was saying I am doomed to disease and illness because of SPD. And I cried a lot throughout and had to stop for days because it was just so dang heavy and disheartening. But again it was the first in-depth book and major source of info I’ve ever come across regarding sensory processing, so maybe it was a lot to take in. I would still highly recommend the book to anyone seeking more info.
After finishing it I started to read The Highly Sensitive Person, which is in the same vein, in the beginning I wished I had read it first as the author stresses early on that you are not alone, shouldn’t feel bad, help is available, and tells you to reframe your thinking so you think of SPD as a trait rather than a problem, which really felt sincere and comforting.  It has a very motherly tone to it. I prefer to focus on the positives and be proactive as to what can I do to make it better, so it seemed more uplifting. I’m not that deep into this book, but it has a completely different feel. I also have the author’s The Highly Sensitive Person Workbook, and I have read that it is daunting and very difficult to work and could take a year or so to complete. But I love to learn and like to be self-aware, so I think I am up for it next year.
 
I must mention though last night I read a passage from The Highly
Sensitive Person that I find so completely offensive and it really
p!ssed me off. I quote from page 96, “you may want to make your
life a little easier by acting a little more like everyone else does”.
Would you say that to a gay person; that they should act straight to make their life easier? So I should ignore my pain & discomfort and force myself to be extroverted? That will make my life a little bit easier? I don't think so. If this is something we are born with and a “trait” rather than a problem, why would you say that!?
I don’t want to be like everyone else, I just want my SPD symptoms to be lessened or tolerable. I'm generally happy with who I am and I accept that I am more introverted than most sheeple (my husband's word for those that follow the mass blindly). This just really makes me mad and I’m not sure I will be able to read on. If I finish the book I will do a future post on it, but at this point I am not happy with this and a few other contradictions the author has made. I also strongly dislike that she calls it being a Highly Sensitive Person. As one who has been called too sensitive all my life, and often meant to be a put down,  it is a very negative term to me. I know my senses are hypersensitive but I don’t like or want to be called too sensitive or a highly sensitive person. I almost did not buy this book for that reason, but since there is such limited info out there for adults I bought it anyway. 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment