Life with Sensory Processing Disorder

Saturday, December 21, 2013

My Story, Part 2



As far back as I can remember, I’ve always been a picky eater. I didn’t know why, I just knew I did not like to eat anything but mainly two things. Now I understand it is & was because certain textures make me sick...anything bumpy, wet, mushy, slimy eg; cottage cheese, custard, wet eggs, browned eggs, flan, tapioca, soft cheeses, squash, quiche, dishes with corn kernels in it, Greek yogurt, meat.
I am hypersensitive to light, but not as much as the other senses. Flashing lights, dim lights, colored lights, strong light; sun or artificial hurt my eyes & head and make me feel sick.


I don’t like to be touched. I am very ticklish and jumpy. If you touch certain parts of my body I feel them elsewhere. If someone needs to touch me (doctor, dentist, etc.) they have to do it firmly or it tickles or hurts. I don’t like things; shoes, blankets, etc. on my feet, I can’t stand anything on my neck like turtlenecks, scarves, or jewelry. I buy t-shirts that are tag-less. I hate my face being touched by hands, hair, or anything else. I hate wearing restrictive, rough, or big seamed clothing and whenever I get home I will rip off my clothes and put on loose, cotton clothing. I hate putting my hands in water and I hate the feeling of dry skin –on me or others.


I am very sensitive to energy and cannot be around more than a few people for long. I feel weighed down, zapped of energy, sick, and disoriented from others’ energy, busy décor, negative moods, or environments. I cannot watch the news because it is so negative and draining. I don’t watch violent movies. I only listen to happy upbeat but not too energetic music in the car. I am especially sensitive to the moon when it is near being & full - even though I don’t follow its cycle, I can always feel it around that time - I feel & sometimes hear buzzing.


I am a super light sleeper and kept awake by the clock ticking, the refrigerator kicking on in the kitchen, the heat coming on.
Chemicals and materials give hives, rashes, headaches. I have odd reactions to elastic, adhesives, nylon, etc. Many soaps, food preservatives, aluminum also give reactions.

I get overheated easily and flush, feel faint, dizzy, panic. Then come the hives, itching, flushing, disorientation, headache.

My sense of hearing is super strong and I often hear things others don’t. I cannot tune out things like ticking clocks and watches (which is why I never wear a watch), background music, far away conversations, or someone chewing.
Someone who has never heard of SPD or has not experienced it may think it is crazy and at times it sure feels like it. It doesn’t make sense, it hurts, it makes daily life a struggle. Things you aren’t even aware of can make you cry, hurt, get sick, angry, dizzy, itchy, withdraw and you don’t always know why.

For instance, my entire life I have never liked showering but do it often daily because it is expected, needed, clean. I almost always cry during or after and hurt, feel irritated, and worn out after a shower. I never knew why and never really thought about it. After learning of SPD, I’ve come to realize showers completely overwhelm one's senses. I am overstimulated by the noise of the exhaust fan, the counter fan, the running water, the heat & temperature change from the water & getting out of the shower, smells from toothpaste, soap, shampoo, make-up, lotion, towels, the touch of the toothbrush, soap, shampoo, razor, towels, make-up brushes, comb, applying lotion. One who is not sensory defensive cannot comprehend, heck even I didn’t realize, how many senses and nerve endings are involved and get overwhelmed in such a normal activity.




 



No comments:

Post a Comment