Life with Sensory Processing Disorder

Friday, February 28, 2014

Movie Review



The other day I watched a movie called Perfect Sense. I saw a preview for it and knew I had to see it since the subject matter is a disease in which you lose your senses. It was an interesting concept, one in which I have to say caused me much wishful thinking.

As I’ve mentioned before the sense that causes me the biggest amount of grief is the sense of smell. In the movie it is how the disease first starts out. Since memory and smell are linked closely together, people start experiencing overwhelming grief as they recall moments of sadness and loss; death, end of friendships, wrongful doings. Then their sense of smell is completely gone. They call it S.O.S. – Severe Olfactory Syndrome. Then it progresses to other emotions followed by the loss of other senses; taste, hearing, sight. Meanwhile the main characters meet and fall in love. The movie follows their story as the world is falling apart. How I wish I had their problem, especially the loss of sense of smell. Loss of taste wouldn’t be so bad either, as I enjoy the taste of food way too much and could stand to lose some weight. Hearing, sight, and touch would truly be a loss because even though they may cause me problems, they are a gift much of the time.

I found this to be a truly thought provoking movie that really hit home and made me wonder what it would be like to not have the sensory issues I do, how the loss of other senses would affect life, how I appreciate my (other) senses.  The two main actors; Ewan McGregor and Eva Green,  acted very well and were believable. The film takes place in Glasgow, Scotland though the disease spreads all over the world. Ewan plays a chef and Eva a scientist. Many of the camera angles were shot in an artful way in which I always notice and appreciate.

No comments:

Post a Comment